Saturday, July 2, 2011

A teeny step closer to an important discovery


Singapore Flyer, 2008


East Timor 2008





It has been 6 months, hasn't it, since my last post.

And a long 6 months and yet so quickly they passed, if such a contradiction was possible. In the blur of homeschool and church activities and the adrenaline rush of family time, my son has grown some more.

As custodians of this precious gift from God, we've been trying to discover God's purpose for His gift. That's also part of why we homeschool - to give Jared the time and space to discover what God has designed him for.

He's dabbled with violin lessons. Personally, I think he's got music in him and I've loved watching him express himself with the highs and lows of melody. But he says, "nah...I don't think it's what God wants me to do..."

He's dabbled with writing and poetry. But he says, "nah...I definitely don't think it's what God wants me to do..."

He enjoys his sailing and swimming, loves biking, dabbled with tennis, roller-blading and Aikido. But again,"nah..I don't think it's what God wants me to do..."

But he's taken apart all our old machines, can sit for hours plowing through computer/game programming, absolutely loves shadowing his Uncle Tzun at work with sound equipment. For all these things, he's had not one formal lesson and yet, of these, he claims, "I think this is what God wants me to do. I think it's computer engineering of some sort...at least I think it's got something to do with machines."

Bless him and thank HIM.

Now we work on confirming and refining the call and giving Jed the character and tools to be the "something to do with machines and computers kind of job" person God designed him to be. A long-term work in progress...

No comments:

Post a Comment