Tuesday, December 15, 2009

My Father's Reading List

My father, a booklover, recently ordered some books. He wanted them in hardcover so that they would be in good condition for Jared and Kaiqi, his grandchildren, to enjoy a few years later. While I put in the order, I thought back to the apartment we lived in while I was growing up. There were books everywhere; Dad had a study full of his own! We even had his Shakespeare texts from when he did his A-levels. My favourite was an old, old, old book titled "The Church that Would Not Die". It had a torn cover and the pages were yellow but that just gave it even more character. I still have these books in my own home now. I look forward to the time Dad can share these books with his grandchildren just as he has shared the love of the well-written word with me. Grin. And a lovely illustration here and there never did hurt anyone.

Here's Dad's reading list:

1. Lord of Finance: the Bankers who Broke the World by Linquat Ahamed
2. The Good Soldiers by David Finkel
3. Raymond Carver: A Writer's Life by Carol Sklenicka
4. The Age of Wonder: How the Romantic Generation Discovered the Beauty
and Terror of Science
by Richard Holmes

No comments:

Post a Comment