Thursday, July 29, 2010

Jared's Music



An impromptu video taken during today's violin lesson. :) His aunty-killer song. Ironically, he loved the music so much, he took the initiative to go learn the lyrics and it is the ONLY chinese song he can sing! :) Now, if only I can get all our chinese textbooks set to beautiful music! :)

:) We've been enjoying our violin lessons. I say "ours" because mummy works hard to write down all Uncle Alex says and she gets "blamed" if her notes aren't clear enough. Jared gets upset with me if he misses an exercise or can't remember what he's supposed to do at various points of a song because it's not in his notes. But I'm not complaining. I'm just glad the little fellow has a love for beautiful music - and my idea of beautiful music and not the loud, unimaginative noise of some of today's songs that make a feeble attempt to pass as music.

His violin teacher is having his annual concert in a few days. I've been asked to co-host the concert together with another of his older students. Today, he culled my script of all references to faith and God in the name of being sensitive to others. Jared, who is going to play Amazing Grace, was going to share a verse from the hymn. That's been scrapped off the script too.

It made me reflect how so much of classical music was born out of the great composers' faith and adoration of God. Just as I cannot figure out how a child's education can be "secular" and devoid of God if it is to inform the rest of his life, neither have I yet figured out how music which tugs at the very heart can be "secular", especially when the created being who wrote that music meant for it to be as praise and worship to the creator of all things (including music!).

Jared, after some clarification, is still going to THINK about the words of the hymn in his heart as he plays it at the concert on Sunday. I'm thankful our Lord will still be his inspiration for the music. Hopefully we get a decent video of Jared's "Amazing Grace" and I'll put it up in another post. :)

Jared loves his violin lessons and his teacher. He now has it on his little prayer journal that his teacher will find God's amazing grace and then his teacher, too, will tell the truth of the music he plays so beautifully :).

No comments:

Post a Comment