Sunday, November 14, 2010

Planning for 2011


the.boys.on.elson's.birthday.outing

***
"Stand at the crossroads and look. Ask for the "ancient paths". When you find them, walk that way and you will find rest for your souls". Jeremiah 6:16
***


I've been going over my plans for our homeschool next year. I started out most systematically - laying out all the books to cover next year then breaking down the work into months then weeks. Looming overhead was the thought that we're hitting our Primary 3 year and we "need" to be gearing ourselves towards the PSLE. A "gan-cheong" spirit crept in.

At the same time, I finally got down to reading "I Saw the Angel in the Marble" by Chris and Ellyn Davis. The book is a collection of essays of their own homeschooling journey.

The first few chapters which includes an exhortation to find the "ancient paths" in God's purpose for Jared's education has calmed mummy's soul. I am reminded that I'm staying home and spending all this time to be God's instrument to turn my child's heart. I am reminded that I'm there to show that relationships come first - our relationship with God, with our self, with others and with created things. Skills come second - relational skills, thinking skills, God's giftings, academic skills. Information is last priority. As Jared grows the right relationship with His maker and his fellow created beings, as he develops the life skills he needs - he will also have the right motivation to pick up the "information" he needs for his God-given purpose. :) I like that.

Looking back on the year, the Lord has been faithful in our "homeschool". We have had plenty of opportunities to build our relationships with family time, being able to be at BSF, having the luxury of meditating on our devotionals in the morning and spending time with friends. Daddy has made a concerted effort to be available as much as possible in our post-Vancouver lifestyle. The topping on this "cake" definitely has to be Elson coming to stay with us. The experience has taught Jared much in relating to someone he doesn't (yet) love/like and I dare say will continue to challenge him in that area next year.

An intentional learning of "life skills" has been a little lacking this year. I have to look into that more for the next year. I think it's time to take another step back and increase his responsibility for managing his own time and resources.

There have been no lack of opportunities to gain "information" as well - our History group, learning to sail, violin lessons,field trips, a huge stack of great books read. Praise be to God!

All in all, next year looks set to be a full year. Hehe , the books have been laid out; the pages marked; the Chinese still has to be done but even as I end this post, the boys are outside spending the heavenliest afternoon playing on the xbox with Daddy - with peals of laughter all round!

No comments:

Post a Comment